We are looking for an experienced leader to join our technology leadership team to hone our data science strategy and drive innovation. In addition to leading and growing a team of data scientists this role will be influential in our overall data strategy, the future of our data infrastructure, and our data visualization for scalable growth over the coming years. We have an outstanding foundation in place. This industry is flush with market data, we’ve built our own proprietary platform for operations, instrumentation, and the gathering of internal data, and Arrive places a premium on data driven decisions, automation, and innovation. Our team will continue to be well positioned to expand market share and create shareholder value.
The technology group at Arrive Logistics is a cloud first engineering organization with our platform and all of our data infrastructure in Microsoft's Azure cloud. As a leader at Arrive you will be interacting with many teams across the technology group and the business including engineering, product, solutions, sales, finance, human resources, marketing.
- Develop strategic data initiatives that align with key quarterly and annual business objectives, coordinate multiple product and feature launches, support the development of your colleagues, and be a senior leader in the Technology organization capable of understanding and articulating our holistic vision, strategy, and roadmap. In return, you’ll receive visibility across the organization and will be a key voice in one of the most exciting companies in the logistics industry.
- Evolve and build the Data Science function and strategy at Arrive.
- Partner with stakeholders to solve business challenges and exploit opportunities with data.
- Build models that move forward a strategic initiative and/or are built into our product to drive insights and automation all day every day by thousands of users.
- Find new opportunities to put Arrive’s data to work in service of our customers without compromising end-user privacy or security.
- Partner with the Engineering organization to define the data infrastructure and with the solutions group to drive visualizations and use of data.
- Work as an integral part of the technology leadership team partnering closely with Product Management and Engineering.
- Strategize and create world-class models and capabilities in supply chain forecasting, pricing, NLP for automation, people forecasting, and more to help make our vision of using software and data to “empower the ambitious” at Arrive Logistics a reality.
- Lead Arrive’s entire data science function, collaborating with stakeholders around the company to understand the needs of their teams and establishing a team structure and end-to-end workflow designed to best serve those needs.
- Responsible for developing, estimating, and executing a roadmap of initiatives while measuring and testing for quantitative success and continuous improvements.
- You will be responsible for building, leading, managing, and mentoring a high-performing team of skilled data scientists.
- Empower your team members to proactively lead iteration cycles with stakeholders and push members forward according to the team’s vision and understanding of the business goals of each request.
- Lead team meetings and strategy sessions and hire, onboard, train, and mentor new team members.
- Gauge fluctuations in the needs of relevant teams at Arrive and hire more members for your team accordingly.
- Collaboratively partner with Arrive’s internal teams who are managing and servicing an increasing volume of business, our customers for whom we strive to be the easiest to do business with with the highest levels of services, our carriers from whom we strive to be their go to partner for consistent business and ease of business, and finally with the technology ecosystem of the freight logistics industry.
- Be highly communicative and responsive both within your team and to stakeholders across the company while managing a large volume of ongoing projects.
Education and/or Experience:
- 5+ years industry experience in data analytics and quantitative modeling, with significant work experience as a technical contributor (not counting academic experience).
- 5+ years of team leadership/management experience.
- 3-5 years of startup experience is preferred.
- 3-5 years of freight, logistics, supply chain, B2B pricing, or relevant industry experience is strongly preferred.
- Excellent educational background in a quantitative field, such as Operations Research, Economics/Econometrics, Forecast/Planning, Data Science/Machine Learning.
- Comfortable with research methodologies to address abstract business and product problems with utmost precision, while staying grounded in common sense. Makes complex problems simple.
- Experience with common analysis tools – SQL, Python, R, Spark, etc.
- Experience with common data architectures and strategies.
- Demonstrable familiarity with code and programming concepts.
- Experience with deep learning, representation learning, convex & combinatorial optimization, hypothesis testing, causal inference, and behavioral modeling is preferred.
- Experience leading a distributed team, deeply embedded in multiple functions and businesses is preferred.
- Experience partnering with business teams to architect and strategize technology and data roadmap.
- Experience with big data architectures and data modeling to efficiently process large volumes of data.
- Background in ETL and data processing, know how to transform data to meet business goals.
- Experience developing large data processing pipelines preferred.
- Experience with Python or Java programming languages preferred.
- Strong understanding of SQL and working knowledge of using SQL for various reporting and transformation needs.
- Excellent communication, adaptability and collaboration skills.
- Experience running Agile methodology and applying Agile to data science preferred.
- Experience with B2B software or services and a technology-centric career history preferred.
- Interest in working at the intersection of applied quantitative research, engineering development, and data science.
- Hands-on leader, you will personally own critical initiatives.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written skills and interpersonal abilities.
- Enjoys being a leader and excels at partnering cross-functionally with the broader executive team.
- Self-starter and relentless personal drive to get things done.
- Translate from technical to business, and vice versa. You need to be able to speak with the least technically-minded client (internal or external) and make technology make sense to them. Then turn around and do it the other way.
- Actively contribute to an amazing work culture.
- Ability to consider long-term sustainability in all data science decisions and maintain an eye for scalability and maintainability.
- Ability to balance the push to the future ideal with the realities of short and medium-term needs.
- Strong communication skills with a keen ability to champion the best ideas and push hard for your beliefs with integrity and respect.
- You must be a world-class contributor to thrive at Arrive. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
- This position will supervise a team within the Technology organization.
- Take ownership of your career at a tech-powered company.
- Work in the booming city of Austin TX!
- Take advantage of excellent benefits, including health, dental, vision, and life coverage.
- Invest in your future with our matching 401K program.
- Leave the suit and tie at home; our dress code is casual.
- Eat for free on Fridays…lunch is on Arrive!
- Grab a bite at the delicious food trucks located at the MET center.
- Sweat it out using our on-site, state-of-the-art gym & yoga studio!
- Recharge your batteries at our fully stocked caffeine bar.
- Soothe aches and pains with our monthly in-office massages.
- Get active at the MET Center’s hike and bike trails and disk golf course.
- Shoot some hoops at our basketball court or serve it up at our tennis court!